Home Forums Facilities larger gathering space

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      #111 |

I believe there is a growing need for additional space on campus that will seat groups of 50 or more people. A space that is conducive to conversation. Mingenback is often in use at peak times of the year, already scheduled, and the setup changes regularly. Brown and the gymnasium bleacher seating, in my opinion, are not suitable for these types of meeting functions.

There are large groups on campus that could certainly use a space like this. For example large student clubs and organizations such as CARS and Business Clubs, Huddles, homecoming and other special event activities, larger evening classes, etc.

Sincerely,
      Cari

• Adam Pracht
      Participant

Hi,

Some possible thoughts on solutions:
      -Could we arrange some kind of extended arrangement with the Church of the Brethren to make reserving meeting space there easier?
      -Could the “Makerspace” in the library help to meet some of these needs?
      -We have 2 meeting rooms in Beeghly (although they would probably be tight for up to 50, they could handle meetings of smaller size).
      -From time to time the Spectator newsroom could be used for meetings. It’s not often in use, but it also has a separate keyed lock that few have the key to.
      -Would the basement space in Melhorn help to meet these needs?

I have a feeling (which may be wrong…) that there are a number of possible spaces going unused that could help meet these needs. I wonder if the solution in general might not be so much new spaces, as it may be: 1) renovation/improvement of existing spaces and 2) Creating some sort of centralized process for room reservation.

Hope these thoughts are helpful.

-Adam

• Cari Lott
      Participant

Adam,

These are really good ideas. I also think the space study by Chip Parker could be quite helpful in helping us find existing space that meet our needs.

Thank you for your response,

Cari

• Adam Pracht
        Participant

No problem. 🙂

• Mary Hester
      Participant

I am in agreement with using the South side of Miller basement (currently referred to as the Makerspace) as a large meeting room. At this time, there simply isn’t funding to to what we want to do for a Makerspace and the meeting space is a critical need.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.